Headline Search Ads Open to Third-Party Sellers
One of the most exciting changes for third-party sellers that Amazon.com, Inc. ("Amazon") has deployed recently is a roll out of headline search-ads functionality to the Seller Central platform. Historically, headline search ads were available only to vendors operating via the Vendor Central and Vendor Express platforms.
What Are Headline Search Ads?
Often referred to as banner ads, headline search ads are keyword-based ads that show on the top of the Amazon search results page.
Headline search ads are a very valuable type of advertising because they can quickly give a brand a lot of impressions, and thus, clicks to the product page. Since these ads show as the top result that a potential buyer sees, they provide the best way to get as many views at the very start of a customer's purchasing journey, i.e. right after they input what they are searching for, and before they go browsing through specific products.
How to Set Up a Headline Search Ad
In order to take advantage of the new headline search ads, you need to be enrolled in the Brand Registry program.
Once enrolled, you'll be able to see the headline search ads option in the Advertising tab of your Seller Central dashboard.
You can set up a headline search ad with four easy steps.
- You will need to choose at least three products from your catalog to be featured in a headline search ad. Each ad will be its own product landing page featuring the products you chose. Be thoughtful about the choice of products because they need to be aligned with the keywords that you will be targeting, as well as the tagline and copy of your headline search ad.
- Write a headline, which can be up to 50 characters, and upload the main image for the ad. Your image can be one of the product images, the brand’s logo or any image that will represent the brand in this ad.
- Keyword selection is the next step. There are two options: choose keywords suggested by Amazon, or enter your own keywords. Of course, keyword selection should be based on your research and strategy.
- Name your campaign, set the duration and complete a final review before submitting your headline search ad for Amazon’s review.
How to Maximize Headline Search Ads Functionality
- Have an underlying strategy. Is your main goal to increase brand awareness, advertise a sale or introduce new products? Because of their location, headline search ads are great for getting a lot of visibility for your chosen keywords. Be thoughtful about product selection and how you want to market your products for the headline search-ad product page.
- Have strong creative components, including your tagline and images. Headline copy should align with the main purpose of your headline search ad. Images should be compliant with Amazon's image requirements, but they should also represent your brand and the ad’s message.
- Test, test and test again. Headline search ads can be a great way to run split tests of copy, images, keywords and other variables relevant to your business. Additionally, the advertising structure of Seller Central campaigns offer better tracking than Vendor Central campaigns: in Seller Central you can review an ad campaign’s performance by date range.
Headline search ads add a lot of power to the third-party seller platform, and most likely will make keyword bids more competitive. However, combined with ongoing testing and optimizing, as well as steadily building on your products' reputations with FeedbackFive, headline search ads can become instrumental in increasing a brand’s visibility and driving sales.
Originally published on August 30, 2017, updated August 26, 2019
This post is accurate as of the date of publication. Some features and information may have changed due to product updates or Amazon policy changes.