Handling back-ordered items in RestockPro
In order to keep your forecast up to date, it's Important to update your POs and Shipments when their status or quantities change so your Restock Suggestions keep an accurate picture of what's on order, inbound, and available in local inventory.
Inevitably the items ordered on a PO are not always fully available. There are several ways to handle this in RestockPro. The best choice will depend on how you want to handle the PO tracking and whether you planned to ship partially received POs.
Tip: Use the color tiles at the top of the Orders page to quickly filter the list for orders of a particular type which are still in an open or active status. You may also use the search and custom filters to find sets of orders.
Choose the best option for handling back orders based on your order type workflow:
Direct ship workflow:
You will need to update the Direct Ship order which contains both the shipment and the PO. Update both tabs to reflect what the Supplier will be shipping. If necessary, create a new order for items that will be shipped at a later date.
Cross Dock or Local Purchase Orders:
You may choose to either:
- Update the PO to match what the supplier actually has, and create a separate PO to track the items still on order.
- Update the PO quantities
- Create a new PO. If the list is long, you could export the original to a CSV, modify the CSV, and import it as a new order. (See Restock Suggestions to Import an order from a CSV)
- Or, keep updating the original PO until it is fully received or closed, meaning no more quantity will be received. Use the Close/Partial button to indicate that any outstanding quantities should be ignored by RestockPro.
Shipping from Cross Dock:
You may choose to either:
- Ship while you wait for the back ordered items
- You will need to transfer the items from your cross dock to local in order to ship them. Select the checkbox beside the items you want to ship, and choose Actions>Transfer to local. Switch to the Local Inventory page to ship. (Be sure to create the local shipment from RestockPro or manually deduct the local quantities if you are creating the shipment elsewhere)
- Or, wait until everything has arrived to ship
- Once the PO is fully received, the green Ship button will be available from the Shipping plan tab.
Shipping from Local Inventory:
Ship as you normally would from Local Inventory.
Tip: Use the archive shortcuts button to keep your list of orders and shipments clear of completed orders. RestockPro will ignore any outstanding quantities in archived orders and shipments.